Our Mottos

‎"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..."
— Dr. Seuss (Oh, the Places You'll Go!)

"It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters in the end." - Ursula LeGuin

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Thankful

Last Wednesday, we decided we were overdue for a nature day. We wanted to do some hiking so we decided to try one in Saguaro National Park West. While driving through the park, my phone rang. It was my boss. She had a death in the family and was wondering if I could work for her on Thursday, Friday and Monday. Of course I said yes.  I was already working extra hours for someone else on Saturday after my shift.

This was a nice surprise cash bonus for us. Due to budget cuts, my hours had been cut from 12 a week to 10 a week. Although we are just using the money to supplement our income, it still was disappointing to lose that money. We had been putting that money in our savings for our big trip in July. Basically, instead of working 10 hours this week, I ended up working 33 hours. That will be a nice chunk of change to put toward our trip.

Now, I probably have the easiest, least stressful job out there. I am a weekend activities assistant at an assisted living community. Basically, I play games with the residents and get to socialize with them. I love this job and the people I work with. It is so rewarding to interact with these people. The stories they have and lives they led are so amazing. I can't even describe how uplifting it is to be with these people and talk with them. They really love me and I love them. I feel so loved and accepted there. They keep a smile on my face and I would do anything for them.

Even though the job is so rewarding, it is physically demanding. I spend many hours on my feet and running around the facility. I do some lifting and moving furniture and assisting the residents in and out of their wheelchairs. By the end of the week, I was completely exhausted. I had a massage scheduled for yesterday afternoon. It was a good way to end the week. Today we are doing nothing but relaxing.

Several months ago, I started focusing on all the things in my life I am thankful for. There is a website, http://thankfulfor.com that I use several time a day. I make a point to post something every morning and evening and anytime else I sit at the computer. Since I started doing this, I have noticed a big change in my life. Instead of thinking about what I don't have or the things I want, I spend my time thinking of the things I do have.

There is a new found peace in my life. I am content and enjoy all that I have. The most amazing thing that has happened since doing this is how I am receiving more from the universe. I am no longer stressing about money. We are receiving all that we need and then some.

This opportunity for more hours at work is a great example of this. This windfall of extra cash will go a long way to help pay for this trip. In fact, this whole trip has fallen into place nicely. We have already paid for several nights worth of lodging and finding cheap ways to get across country. In addition, we will be seeing some awesome sights along the way.

All of this has shown that we will be able to make our dream of full time RVing a reality. In fact, if I continue to thank the universe for what I have received already, I can only imagine what else will fall into place if I just let it happen and be receptive.

Oh, and yes we did go hiking and had a wonderful day in the park. We also had a fun picnic lunch while there.

No comments:

Post a Comment